Monday, October 31, 2011

Observation 2-10/27/11

I observed my MicroAquarium for the second time last Thursday, the 27th of October.

Earlier in the week, Dr. McFarland added a food pellet to the MicroAquarium. On Friday, October 21, 2011, one Beta Food Pellet was inserted into the MicroAquarium ("Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104).  The ingredients in this beta pellet were fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives and the analysis of this shows the following: Crude Protein 36%, Crude fat 4.5%, Crude Fiber 3.5%, Moisture 8%, and Ash 15%.

This week I observed many of the same organisms that I observed last week.  I saw a nematoda, a Cyclopoid nauplius, a tachysoma, and several unidentified organisms once again.  Many of these organisms were in the middle layer of the MicroAquarium.  They were also not quite as active as last time I observed the habitat.  The Cyclopoid naupilius was particularly sluggish this time when compared to the speed of its movement during Observation 1 on October 20th.


I would also like to note that the area around Plant B (Utricularia gibba L. flowering plant) seemed to be much more active than the area around Plant A (Amblestegium sp. Moss ).


I plan to observe my MicroAquarium again later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment