Monday, November 14, 2011

Observation 4- 11/10/11

Hello!

Last Thursday, I observed my MicroAquarium for the last time.  There were some changes from my last observation.  There were still many organisms in the MicroAquarium, but it was not quite as active as last time.   Additionally, there was more activity in the bottom layer of the tank around the silt than ever before.  I also observed two dead organisms at the bottom of the tank.

There will a couple of particularly interesting organisms in my MicroAquarium last Thursday.  One of them was likely a monomatta, which is a type of rotifer that we were unable to find in any texts.




Monommata sp.

Another interesting organism in my MicroAquarium this week was a Philodina.  This one was particularly interesting to me because it was pulling materials toward it and had a very strong current going.  Below, you can see a picture of this Philodina.

Philodina sp.
(Pennak 1989, Figure 3)

 Sources:
http://www.plingfactory.de/Science/Atlas/KennkartenTiere/Rotifers/source/Monommata%20longiseta.html

Pennak, R. W. (1989).  Fresh-water invertebras of the United States: protozoa to mollusca.  New York City, New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment